Jacobi Medical Center
The mission of Jacobi Medical Center is to serve the Bronx Community by providing high-quality, cost-effective health care in a respectful way to all, regardless of ability to pay.
Jacobi Medical Center (JMC) was founded in 1955 as the teaching hospital for the newly opened Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein), and served as the first clinical site for Einstein students. With the medical school adjacent to Jacobi's campus, the two institutions have remained both academically and geographically linked for the past 50 years.
All JMC faculty have appointments at Einstein, and there is a dynamic exchange of personnel between the institutions. Einstein medical students participate in all of the clinical rotations at the Jacobi Medical Center, and the residents and faculty have use of the medical school facilities.
Jacobi Medical Center is one of 11 acute care municipal hospital facilities operated by the New York City Health & Hospitals Corporation. The campus, comprising 53 acres of park-like setting, is directly across the street from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and includes two clinical buildings: Jacobi Hospital and the Jacobi Ambulatory Care Pavilion.
Jacobi Medical Center is a level 1 trauma center and also a regional center for snake bites, burns, and hyperbaric medicine, with the only multiperson hyperbaric oxygen chamber in the New York City area.
Jacobi Medical Center is a major center of research and many studies are ongoing at any particular time. Residents are active participants and have full support of the department to pursue their own research interests.